Monday 30 January 2012

3 Peaks Challenge 2012 Training Log #11: tduMOTU Week - Days 6 & 7 "All good things must come to an end"

Tanunda Stage 4 - Final sprint from 150m
 This is the 3rd post in my trilogy of posts documenting my and Team MOTU’s week shadowing the
2012 Tour Down Under
during which, between Sunday 15 January and Saturday 21 January (7 days):
·       914km were ridden;
·       all KOMs summitted;
·       11,390m climbed; and
·       >23,000 calories burnt in the saddle.
To review the 2nd post CLICK HERE
To watch the tduMOTU video edit CLICK HERE
Day 6 - Stage 4: Tanunda - “BUPA Challenge Ride” (SpecK, SmA, DH, BY and ZZ): 143 km and 1,600 m of elevation
Yours truly ascending Menglars Hill
Once again I decided to register and compete in the Challenge Ride – the Official Tour Down Under breakaway ride allowing amateurs of differing experience/ability to ride a stage of a UCI World Tour Stage.  For 2012, the ride commenced in Norwood (just a very short ride from my home), travelling around the Ranges into and finishing in the wine region of the Barossa Valley.
This was my fourth Challenge Ride in a row, though the first was spent with my painfully watching from the roadside.  Long story; let’s just say I’ve since learnt from my mistakes and nutritionally I’m much more appreciative of the requisite (additional) fuel required for training and recovery.
With only SpecK, SmA, DH and BY also officially registered, SD, ET, AVO and DD had other respective plans for the day.  Snappy decided for a light morning ride ahead of watching the professionals set off later in the morning, and ET, AVO and DD each had their own respective plans to ride abridged routes to see the pros.  In advance I chose to accompany SpecK, SmA and DH, and help them if I could in anyway – if nothing else for moral support.  For myself, I saw the ride as a “recovery ride” ahead of what I anticipated would be a tougher day in the saddle the following day.  I had no target time, and would allow the pace to be dictated by the others.
·        The route itself incorporated three primary climbs, though only the latter two were classified as KOMs.  Curiously the first climb (Ansteys Hill) – that which was not classified, was a harder climb than the second (ie Norsworthy Road).  The third climb – Menglars – was clearly the toughest for riders, though a climb which, for those familiar, isn’t too overwhelming.  For the week, I would rate Menglars behind both Willunga and Fox Creek in terms of relative difficulty.
·        Officially registered for “Fox Tucker Lawyers”, my employer.  I was sans MOTU kit, but thought this year’s “red” was the best since the “yellow” of 2009.  Further, being one among the equally kitted gave me (from a distance) some anonymity and camouflage on the road – which I appreciated. 
·        Not my favourite of rides in terms of safety.  With a lot of nervous cyclists on the ride less familiar with riding side by side, in front or behind, I was a little concerned for my own health.  The descent from Anstey into Chain of Ponds I found incredibly scary; that is, a lot of inexperienced cyclists lacking the legs in the climb trying to make up “lost time” on the descent – risks taken, lines not maintained and mute when it came to calling out their position and intent.
Oscar Friere
·        Organisation for the ride was very good in terms of police presence on the roads; there was not one intersection that wasn’t maintained and which I was given right of way.  In terms of ride support and food support at the end, in comparison to the Ride-Like-Crazy that was held less than a week before, it was somewhat disappointing. 
·        Really enjoyed riding with SpecK and not be drawn into the temptation of trying to ride the stage as fast as I could!  SpecK is designer, moderator and “God” of Adelaide Cyclists, and (with only slight exaggeration) I’m sure knew every third person we passed on the road – was educational having him put a face to a name at times.
·        Watched Stage end in Tanunda in lieu of climbing Menglars a second time to watch the KOM.  It also enabled me to watch Freire take the stage win, and Kohler the ochre jersey.
·        Had always planned to get a lift home rather than ride home – I wanted to save my legs for the Willunga stage the next day.  That being said, in hindsight given how well I felt on Willunga and that entire Saturday, I know I could have ridden home from Tanunda and chalked up the 80km needed that would have given me a total 1,000km for the week.
Day 7 - Stage 5: Old Willunga Hill (SD, BY, ET and ZZ): 136 km and 1,890 m of elevation
Last day on the road for the week before being able to relax and enjoy the satisfaction of having achieved what we did during the week.  Slept well, albeit constantly dreaming about the week and the day to come; kilometres, nutrition, gradients, temperature, hydration, wind direction, when to attack, when to sit up etc etc etc, my brain even when asleep was churning through combinations and permutations as if some type of cycling – flight – simulator.
Met SD to climb Belair, the hills before Clarendon and Willunga Hill ahead of enjoying the festive atmosphere at the summit for stage end.  Feeling in good form, I chose to also ascend Wickhams Hill and descend Pennys Hill Road whilst SD chose to ride straight from Kangarilla to McLaren Vale skipping Wickhams to see the professionals ride their few loops past the town.  Brad, SD and ET (on Dahon) then progressively – in their own time – progressively climbed Old Willunga to the top, they I’m sure, slowing their progress up the hill knowing I had already claimed a great vantage spot :p

Gerro, Rogers & Valverde (tuckd behind Rogers) with 200m to go
 
Atmosphere at the top of Willunga was fantastic.  A lot of enthusiasts!  It is very hard to explain, but to be able to be share in and be among the throng of four deep at the top in the widening channel was a huge highlight for the week.  I have never been to France (let alone watched a mountain top finish at the TDF), so this is as close as I was going to get to experience such atmosphere:
·        A lot of group cyclists heading up Belair and past Kangarilla on their way to Old Willunga Hill, though all seemed to skip Wickhams.  I was alone on the bike for the first time during the week, and it felt nice.  Alone with my thoughts, on the bike feeling physically and mentally very good.  I was able to digest the week, the preceding months and what still lay ahead in the last seven weeks ahead of the 3 Peaks.
·        Descent down Penny’s was taken cautiously.  Upon seeing a kangaroo jump across the road a hundred metres ahead of me when travelling close to 70km/hr I thought... “let’s be careful”. 
Part of the Willunga crowd
·        Was very pleased to be able to welcome BY, SD and ET one-by-one at the top of Willunga with camera in hand, each of them basking in the aforementioned atmosphere as they crested the top to the whistles, clappers et al.
·        Return ride via Range Road and back through Kangarilla, Clarendon and Belair with SD, BY and BY’s friend Dean was fun, so relaxed, and again, feeling very good I tried to bear the pace burden as much as possible.  We missed the opportunity to join BMC as they returned as we were forced to refill our bidons at the Kangarilla service station – no support vehicle for us. 

BY, SD, ZZ and ET

·        To the amusement of SD, I continued to consume gels and bars all the way home, even in the final 20km’s for the week.  So ingrained am I now to keeping properly fuelled on the bike, that I barely noticed that I was even doing it.

·        Got home feeling great!!  I was stoked!  In all seriousness, I feel I could easily have ridden again the next day if other plans hadn’t been made, or have ridden harder/longer in the days preceding.
·        Evening was spent at Team MOTUs “Almost Legends Dinner” at Chianti Classico.  A very lovely evening, although by the time dessert was served I was almost falling asleep in my chocolate torte.

MOTU Family Picnic - Stage 6: Adelaide

Final day of the 2012 TDU was spent in the company of my Boys sharing afternoon picnic with SpecK, ET, and DH watching the professionals as they rode the final city stage. 
A really nice end to a great week.





Day 6 and Day 7 - Route maps and profiles

1 comment:

  1. POST SCRIPT

    Whether right or wrong, core training is finished - I hope that the solid kilometres I put in over the winter, then increasing over spring and summer culminating in the week of the TDU has me in good stead for Falls Creek. Though, that being said I am not at all getting complacent, rather that I'm mindful not to overdo things too much in the last few weeks which would have me exhausted/ill before I even get to the Alps. Essentially I'm trying to maintain current form and enthusiasm with multiple early morning hill rides/repeats (Greenhill, Lofty, Norton, Forest Range), a longer hills ride (~130km-150km) if I can sort it each weekend between now and March 11, commuting and gentle spinning on the trainer (thank Christ for the TDU2011 DVD box set).

    As I mentioned to Snappy this last Friday, I'm confident that bar mechanical issues finishing should not be concern. Consequently whereas before I was training to comfortably finish, I am in a bit of "no-mans land" now as to how to train and focus.

    Ideally, if there was one area where I could train properly it would be in the descents. That is, despite being able to climb, I lose too much time to others descending. More particularly, I anticipate that over the 235km of the 3 Peaks, I could lose an hour to those more confident in the descent than I and/or have a better centre of gravity - I'm pretty lean at 196cm & 85.5kg.

    I am hesitant to train on my descents so soon to March because I worry that to do so risks a fall and broken collarbone (or worse). The last thing I need is to have busted my arse, sacrificed so much over the winter/spring & summer, and economically spent what I have spent, to miss the ride through over exuberance on a descent in training.

    We’ll see, until next time

    ZZ

    ReplyDelete